Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt'

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Farmers Markets in Portland

Good Morning!

This Saturday is May 1st and that means lots of the farmers markets in Portland are opening up. This is very exciting news for a seasonal eater! It's been a long 6 months without my favorite farmers market. And, I've been without my own garden since November. I am so ready for some farm fresh produce. And, since my new community garden isn't even planted yet, I'm going to be completely reliant on the farmer's market for a few months.

In 2009 I began attending my small neighborhood farmers market. I attended every week the entire season. I got to really know the farmers and vendors. My favorite non-produce vendor was the goat cheese stand staffed by a 10 year old girl who's family owns the farm. She is a great salesperson and can tell you all about living on a goat farm and working with her goats. Plus, the chevre is amazing. I highly recommend the blueberry lavender chipotle chevre. It is phenomenal.

Farmers do not make a lot of money from these small neighborhood farmers markets. The larger heavily attended farmer's markets like Downtown or Hollywood District on Saturdays are what sustain them. But, what I love about the smaller neighborhood markets is the slower less frantic pace. I have ample space to peruse all the booths without being crowded by masses of people. I have the opportunity to talk with the farmers and vendors. And, there's always easy parking.

Here's a link to all of the Portland area farmers markets. If you have a favorite, let me know. I'd love to check it out this Summer.

In Health,
Miss Jolie Ann

No comments: